Friday, June 18, 2010

Hearing is believing, Listening is everything



Speaking of dipoles; Last night I fired up the IC-706 to try and make some more progress on the WSPR project. As the audio came up I noticed it SOUNDED a little different. I set the frequency and hit the tuner and HEARD the tuner churning differently as well.

I decided to tune over to WWV and it also SOUNDED weaker. Something did not seem right. We had some very high straight line winds a few days a go but making a cursory look at that time showed my antenna to be alright.

But still, something still did not SOUND right so, I went out to the tower and, low and behold, there was 1/2 my dipole lying on the ground - broken right at the center coupler. I use a Wilson Creek Antenna. This is a trapped dipole, made by some HAM friends of mine. It is a very strong, very good antenna. It receives better than any trapped dipole I have ever used.

The antenna is at the top of a 49' tower and can be easily lowered using a rope and pulley system I set up. I lowered the beast down, resoldered the broken leg, and raised it up again. Returning to the shack I HEARD WWV loud and clear now. I retuned down to the 20M PSK frequency and hit the tuner again. One click, no churning. I was back in business.

Part of what you learn as you gain more experience in the hobby is to LOOK, SMELL, and LISTEN. This involves your own built in test equipment and doesn't cost a dime. If used properly, these senses can save you a lot of time and trouble. If the radio or tower or waterfall display - whatever - does not look right, something probably has changed. Smell carbon in the making? Better check that out too. Electronic components never seem to work correctly after the magic smoke has been let out of them.

Finally listening, not only to your equipment, but also to your Elmers and other friends can save you a lot of grief and teach you a great deal. You do not learn much by talking all the time. I have found this out the hard way on many occasions. D.J. Kaufman once said, "Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening". Boy, do I need some wisdom!

No comments:

Post a Comment